As a cat owner, finding the right scratching post for your furry friend is essential. Cat scratchers not only protect your furniture, but they also provide a necessary outlet for your cat’s instinctual need to scratch. With so many options available, choosing the best one can be overwhelming. In this article, we will explore the top best-selling cat scratchers on the market to help you make an informed decision.
Understanding the Importance of Cat Scratchers
Cats are well-known for their love of scratching. It’s an essential part of their natural behavior, and they do it for various reasons. Scratching helps them stretch their muscles, mark their territories, and sharpen their claws. However, cat owners often find their furniture, carpets, and curtains scratched beyond repair. That’s where cat scratchers come in handy. A good quality scratcher can help redirect their scratching behavior and protect your furniture. Therefore, it is essential to invest in a suitable cat scratcher that meets your cat’s needs and preferences.
The Different Types of Cat Scratchers
Cat scratchers come in various shapes, sizes, and materials. Some are designed to be freestanding, while others can be hung on a door or wall. The most common types of cat scratchers include:
- Vertical Scratchers: These are tall, vertical posts that cats can scratch and climb on.
- Horizontal Scratchers: These are flat boards that cats can scratch while lying down.
- Inclined Scratchers: These are angled boards that cats can scratch while standing or lying down.
- Combination Scratchers: These are scratchers that combine two or more types of scratchers.
How to Choose the Best Cat Scratcher
Choosing the right cat scratcher can be overwhelming, given the vast array of options available. Here are some factors to consider when selecting the best cat scratcher for your furry friend.
- Size: The size of the cat scratcher should be appropriate for your cat’s size and weight. A cat scratcher that’s too small or too big may not be comfortable or stable enough for your cat to use.
- Material: The material of the cat scratcher should be durable and safe for your cat to use. Some common materials include sisal rope, cardboard, and carpet.
- Design: The design of the cat scratcher should match your cat’s preferences and your home decor. Some cats prefer vertical scratchers, while others prefer horizontal or inclined scratchers.
- Location: The location of the cat scratcher should be easily accessible and visible to your cat. Place it in an area where your cat spends most of their time.
- Quality: The quality of the cat scratcher should be high enough to withstand your cat’s scratching behavior. A low-quality scratcher may fall apart quickly and not be worth the investment.
The Best Selling Cat Scratchers
Now that you understand the importance of cat scratchers and how to choose the right one let’s look at some of the best-selling cat scratchers on the market.
1. PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
The PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge is a combination scratcher that’s perfect for cats who love to scratch, lounge, and play. It’s made of recycled cardboard and non-toxic corn starch glue, making it safe for your cat to use. This scratcher is also reversible, allowing your cat to use both sides, thus extending its lifespan. It’s also designed to be aesthetically pleasing, making it an excellent addition to any home.
2. AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post and Hammock
The AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post and Hammock is a vertical scratcher that also doubles as a cozy hammock for your cat to relax in. It’s made of natural jute fiber and plush carpeting, making it both durable and comfortable for your cat to use. It also features a sturdy base and a dangling toy for added entertainment.
3. SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post
The SmartCat Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post is a tall, vertical scratcher that’s perfect for cats who love to stretch and climb. It’s made of fibrous, durable sisal that’s perfect for satisfying your cat’s scratching needs. This scratcher also features a sturdy base and a sleek design that complements any home decor.
4. Petlinks Mix-n-Scratch Seagrass Scratcher
The Petlinks Mix-n-Scratch Seagrass Scratcher is a horizontal scratcher that’s perfect for cats who prefer scratching while lying down. It’s made of seagrass and sisal, making it both durable and eco-friendly. This scratcher also features a feather wand for added entertainment and a non-skid base for stability.
5. Catit Style Scratcher with Catnip
The Catit Style Scratcher with Catnip is a horizontal scratcher that’s perfect for cats who love to scratch and play. It’s made of corrugated cardboard and features a catnip-infused scratch pad that encourages your cat to use it. The scratcher also comes in various designs, making it a stylish addition to your home.
FAQs for Best Selling Cat Scratchers
What are the benefits of using a cat scratcher?
Cat scratchers are essential for cats as they provide a designated area for your cat to scratch and groom their nails. By using a cat scratcher, you can protect your furniture, curtains, and carpets as well as keeping your cat healthy. Scratching helps cats to stretch their muscles, remove the outer layer of their nails and relieves stress.
What should I consider when choosing a cat scratcher?
When choosing a cat scratcher, you should consider the size and number of cats you have, the material used, and the scratching surface. If you have more than one cat, you will need a larger scratcher. Materials like sisal rope or cardboard provide good surfaces for cats to scratch on, while others may prefer carpet or wood.
What types of cat scratchers are available in the market?
There are several types of cat scratchers, including scratching posts, cardboard scratchers, and cat trees. Scratching posts are designed to be placed on the floor, while cat trees can be placed in different areas of a room. Cardboard scratchers are lightweight and can be easily transported.
What are the best materials for cat scratchers?
The best materials for cat scratchers are usually sisal rope, cardboard, carpet, or wood. Sisal rope provides a rough surface that cats can scratch on and is durable. Cardboard scratchers are inexpensive, lightweight, and recyclable. Carpet can also provide an excellent scratching surface, while wood scratchers are durable and long-lasting.
How do I train my cat to use a cat scratcher?
Training your cat to use a cat scratcher can be achieved by placing it in areas of your home where your cat likes to scratch. You can attract your cat’s attention to the scratcher by rubbing catnip on it or placing treats on or near the scratching surface. When your cat uses the scratcher, you can praise and reward them to encourage positive behavior.
How often should I replace my cat scratcher?
The lifespan of a cat scratcher depends on the material used and how often it is used. Cardboard scratchers, for example, may need to be replaced every few weeks, while sisal rope and wood scratchers can last for months or even years. It is essential to monitor the wear and tear of a scratcher and replace it when it becomes frayed or damaged.